CASTELLO* Linen wash and care instructions
The instructions below are to give a general idea of how to care for CASTELLO* Italian linens. These items are elegant to the touch but very durable. CASTELLO* uses combed cotton yarns and colorfast dyes to maximize our products’ durability and excellent hand. We also mercerize our fabrics to allow for better stain removal, ease of ironing, and increased strength. With some simple handling, your CASTELLO* linens will launder 250+ times.
general wash and care instructions:
Natural fibers, cotton and linen can be damaged when they are bleached in high water temperatures and an acidic environment (pH lower than 7). We recommend following these simple instructions to extend the life of your linen.
- New linen should be washed in cooler water temperatures for the first few washes at a temperature of 104°F (40°C); this will set the mercerization process.
- Future wash temperatures should be at 140°F (60°C), but for stubborn stains, temperatures can be raised to 205°F (96°C).
- Rinse thoroughly at a lower temperature, washing machine must not be overloaded; the acceptable maximum load is two-thirds of the machine’s capacity.
- Optical brighteners should be avoided, and chlorine bleach is NOT recommended, as this can have a negative effect on the appearance and the life span of the products. There are alternative stain removers available that work well and are less harmful.
- If necessary, sodium peroxide based bleach and enzymes can be used to remove heavy stains.
- •Rinse thoroughly to remove any and all chemical agents; normal acidification is to be carried out at the end of the washing cycle.
- Linen can be conditioned in the dryer, but this is not necessary.
- Linen should be at least 52% damp before you introduce it to the flat iron.
- The flat iron should be between 325°F and 390°F (162.7°C and 198.8°C) throughout the entire machine and have the speed set at approximately 24.
- The use of a water spray bottle on dry areas as linen is being introduced to the flat iron can help.
“CASTELLO* does not recommend the use of chlorine bleach on products.”
CARE & QUANTITY:
- There should be a minimum of par 3, and preferably a par 5, inventory level at all times.
- Linen should be stored on the shelf after laundering for a minimum of 48 hours before re-entering into service; this will allow the fibers to relax before entering into service again.
- You should introduce your entire linen inventory into service, as the more time the linen is able to be on the shelf between washes, the longer life span your linen will have.
With the proper care, your CASTELLO* linens will provide your property with a considerable return on investment. Our staff will assist your laundry personnel and chemical supplier with the implementation of this guideline for any new or existing facility.
NOTE: For CASTELLO* Matelassés & Merino Wool Throws, we recommend dry cleaning only for a longer life span and better appearance. They can be laundered, but please consider the possibility of shrinkage and diminished quality of appearance over time.